Sunday, November 30, 2008

Response for 12/1

What is patriotism? This is, I believe, the underlying argument in the articles for this section. It is only through answering this question that we can begin to teach it in our classrooms. But my question is, Is there are "right" kind of patriotism? There are obviously what some people consider "bad" or "wrong" kinds of patriotism, like the blind patriotism mentioned in the Kahne and Middaugh article. But no one seems to agree on what the "right" kind of patriotism is, or if there even is a "right" kind. The Kahne and Middaugh article seems to come the closests to actually telling us how to teach patriotism in the classroom, but even their explanation is a bit confusing. Apparently we are supposed to help foster our students' "love of country" by teaching them about democratic ideals, but at the same time lead them to question the actions of the country that they are supposed to be loving. Now of course I understand that it is possible to love this country AND question it at the same time, but I am not sure if even high school students would be able to see this distinction. Mitchell and Parker even point out on page 24 of their article that a group a high school seniors seemed much more connected to what they call their "urban identification" than to any kind of national identity. How does this connection breed a sense of patriotism? If we are teaching students to question the actions of the country they are living in while they are so firmly attached to their local connections, how are we teaching them national patriotism? I guess I don't really have an answer to this question. I am in such a state of frustration with this country right now that I don't know how I would be able to step into a classroom and help my students form a "love of country." If I don't even understand how to be "patriotic" while at the same time questioning the motives and actions of my country, how can I teach a group of students patriotism?

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

Comment For Grading

This is probably one of my favorite posts which is why I am submitting it for grading. This post has more of my own personal views thrown in than any of the others because there was not a guiding question to answer. I was able to comment on the readings in my own way which allowed me to REALLY talk about what I thought. As it evident from the post, this is a very heated topic for me and it was helpful to be able to talk about it in a way that was useful for me, instead of trying to twist my argument into an answer for a preset question.

Cassie